|TACTE Member Forum
|Federal Update from the Normandy Group
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||Ben Stafford [ Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 am ]|
|Post subject:||Federal Update from the Normandy Group|
House. The House was in a district work week and will return to Washington, D.C. on May 12.
Senate. On Wednesday, May 6, the Senate reauthorized a program aimed at helping law enforcement agencies get bulletproof vests.
On Thursday, May 7, the Senate voted to approve legislation allowing Congress to review a nuclear deal with Iran, in a 98-1 vote. The Senate bill would require a competed deal to be submitted to Congress, which could then vote to approve or disapprove the nuclear deal within 30 days. Sanctions on Iran could not be lifted during this consideration.
Administration. On Thursday, May 7, a White House spokesman noted that President Barack Obama has called for restructuring the NSA program so telephone companies would retain the data in lieu of the government. The information would be readily accessible and searchable in terrorism investigations.
On Friday, May 8, President Barack Obama addressed the Lake Area Technical Institute in the Mount Rushmore State. This caps off a week of awareness-building by White House officials pushing the importance of community colleges.
Justice. The Justice Department is preparing to announce a civil rights investigation into the practices of the Baltimore police department following a request from that city's mayor.
Labor. The American job market rebounded in April, stated the government, as employers added 223,000 positions and the unemployment rate decreased to 5.4 percent.
Upcoming Committee Hearings:
• On Tuesday, May 12, the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee will hold hearings to examine the implementation and future of the Veterans Choice Program.
• On Wednesday, May 13, the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee will hold hearings to examine pending benefits legislation.
• On Wednesday, May 13, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform will hold a hearing: Transportation Security: Are Our Airports Safe?
• On Wednesday, May 13, the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs will hold a hearing: Assessing the Promise and Progress of the Choice Program.
• On Wednesday, May 13, the House Committee on the Judiciary will hold a hearing: Stakeholder Perspectives on ICANN: The .Sucks Domain and Essential Steps to Guarantee Trust and Accountability in the Internets Operation.
• On Thursday, May 14, the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs will hold a hearing: Waste, Fraud, and Abuse in VA’s Purchase Card Program.
• On Thursday, May 14, the House Committee on Foreign Affairs will hold a hearing titled, “A Pathway to Freedom: Rescue and Refuge for Sex Trafficking Victims”.
• On Friday, May 15, the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs will hold a hearing titled “Overcoming Barriers to More Efficient and Effective VA Staffing”.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group