|TACTE Member Forum
|Federal update from The Normandy Group
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||Ben Stafford [ Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:48 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Federal update from The Normandy Group|
House. On Wednesday, April 22nd, the House passed H.R. 1560: Protecting Cyber Networks Act by a vote of 307-116. The bill creates new standards for the DNI to disseminate the timely sharing of cyber threat indicators between governmental and intelligence agencies.
On Wednesday, April 22nd, the House passed H.R. 1195: The Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Advisory Boards Act by a vote of 235-183. The bill amends the Consumer Financial Protection Act of 2010 to establish a Small Business Advisory Board.
On Thursday, April 23rd, the House passed H.R. 1731: The National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act of 2015 by a vote of 355-63. The bill promotes cooperation between the DHS’s national cybersecurity center and local and tribal governments.
Senate. On Wednesday, April 22nd, the Senate passed S. 178: Justice for Victims on Trafficking Act of 2015 by a vote of 99-0. The bill imposes additional penalties for trafficking convictions and awards increased grants to efforts to combat trafficking and child pornography.
On Wednesday, April 22nd, the Senate introduced, and put on the calendar, S. 1035: A bill to extend authority relating to roving surveillance, access to business records, and individual terrorists as agents of foreign powers under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 and for other purposes.
On Thursday, April 23rd, the Senate moved toward confirming Loretta Lynch as the nation’s next attorney general. In a 66 to 34 vote, senators invoked cloture on President Obama’s nominee, setting up a final vote later Thursday afternoon.
Administration. On Monday, April 20th, in an interview with CNN, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who had asked the president whether he would support a Senate bill that would roll back federal restrictions on medical marijuana, received an answer that President Obama is open to supporting medical marijuana.
On Thursday, April 23rd, the President addressed the American people regarding a U.S. counterterrorism operation this past January that resulted in the tragic deaths of two hostages. The two, an American and an Italian, both died when a drone strike was launched on an al-Qaeda installation along the Afghan-Pakistani border. The President has begun a full review of the operation, and expressed his sorrow for the loss of the hostages.
Upcoming Committee Hearings:
• On Tuesday, April 28th, the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation: Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security will hold a hearing to examine FAA reauthorization, focusing on aviation safety and general aviation
• On Wednesday, April 29th, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform will hold a hearing titled, “Flying under the Radar: Securing Washington DC Airspace”
• On Wednesday, April 29th, the House Committee on the Judiciary will hold a hearing titled, “The Registers Perspective on Copyright Review”
• On Wednesday, April 29th, the House Committee on the Judiciary’s Subcommittee on Immigration and Border Security will hold a hearing titled, “Birthright Citizenship: Is it the Right Policy for America?”
• On Wednesday, April 29th, the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure’s Subcommittee on Highways and Transit will hold a hearing titled, “The Future of Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety: Technology Safety Initiatives and the Role of Federal Regulation”
• On Wednesday, April 29th, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform will hold a hearing on Encryption Technology and Potential U.S. Policy Responses
• On Wednesday, April 29th, the House Committee on the Judiciary’s Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice will hold a hearing regarding H.R. 1927: The Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act of 2015.
• On Thursday, April 30th, the House Committee on Homeland Security’s Subcommittee on Transportation Security will hold a hearing titled, “A Review of Access Control Measures at Our Nation's Airports Part II”
• On Thursday, April 30th, the House Committee on Energy and Commerce’s Subcommittee on Communications and Technology will hold a hearing titled, “FCC Reauthorization: Improving Commission Transparency”
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group