It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:58 am

Post Reply  Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:22 pm 

I have a question for the group concerning the addition of BCIS 1305 to the CAO (Component Area Option) of the Core Curriculum. Apparently some colleges are including this course in their CAO. With HB 5, unless the course is part of the core or a WECM course, it is not fundable as a dual credit course (early college high schools are exempt from that rule). Is your college submitting BCIS in your Core CAO?

Thanks,

David McAnally
Associate VP for Workforce Edcuation
Trintiy Valley Community College

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm 

We did not include BCIS 1305 in our core curriculum. We do not offer it as a dual credit class at the present time.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:19 pm 

San Jacinto College has included BCIS 1305 in the degree, but no in the core curriculum (CAO). We have also developed a computer literacy exam for students who wish to attempt it. They may take it once.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:22 am 

Thanks Bill & Catherine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:06 pm 

Lamar State College-Port Arthur has included BCIS 1305 in the AA degree, but not in the core curriculum (CAO). My understanding is/was that it could not be included in the core. :?:
Gary Stretcher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 pm 

We initially tried to "make it fit" as a Communications course in the CAO but found that there would have to be so many changes to it that it would become another course. So we decided to go with a computer literacy test that will be more hands-on than answering objective questions.

I do think that if it was submitted as a part of a college's Core Curriculum it would be closely scrutinized by the Co-Bd.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:56 pm 

Gary: That was what we heard as well. However, we are now seeing several colleges include BCIS in their CAO. Our situation may be different from most, but we are now seeing recent high school graduates coming to us without any computer skills. Some have never worked on a desktop computer. One of our high schools has eliminated computer labs in favor of issuing I-Pads. While I applaud their forward thinking, I believe that is only a part of the solution. Any serious productivty on computers, still requires desktop computers and applications.

Most of the people who objected to a computer literacy or applications course are no longer with the coordinating board. I certainly can't speak for Rex Peebles but as I understand it, elimination of BCIS (or any other course) was not the recommendation of UEAC for the CAO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:01 pm 

Thanks Gerald. We have similar concerns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:11 pm 

McLennan is including both BCIS 1305 and COSC 1301 in the Core CAO under Communications. Our course always had a written paper and a presentation as part of the curriculum. The course definitely addresses the visual literacy component. We also have heard comments by our community stakeholders, both in the college and out, that students do not have the necessary computer skills to be truly literate. Furthermore, some 4-year institutions still require the course (especially Field of Study in Business) so we felt it was a good fit for the CAO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 am 

Thanks Fred.

Post Reply  Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:58 am